Top tips for avoiding pollen…
Hay fever is a common allergic condition that affects up to one in five people at some point in their life.
Symptoms of hay fever include:
- a runny nose
- itchy eyes
These symptoms are caused when a person has an allergic reaction to pollen and, although there is currently no cure for hay fever, most people are able to relieve symptoms with treatment – at least to a certain extent.
In an ideal world, the most effective way to control hay fever would be to avoid exposure to pollen. However, it’s very difficult to avoid pollen, particularly during the summer months when you want to spend more time outdoors.
Here are our top tips for avoiding and reducing the allergic effects of pollen:
- Try to limit exposure in the early mornings. Pollen count is highest between 5am and 10am
- Days that are dry and windy tend to have the highest pollen count.
- Avoid drying clothes and bedding outside when pollen count is high. Change your bedding regularly at least once a week.
- Keep windows and doors shut. Avoid keeping your bedroom window open at night.
- Wash your hands and face after you come in so that you get rid of any pollen you may have come in contact with when outside
- Bathe before you go to bed to wash off any pollen you may have picked up during the day
- Wear sunglasses during the day and avoid using contact lenses
DialaChemist stock an excellent range of effective treatments for hay fever and allergy relief such as Piriton and Beconase.